Tuesday, January 18, 2022

You've Never Been Beautiful


A couple of years ago, when I was still in communication with my increasingly toxic and dysfunctional mother, I posted a selfie on Facebook. 

Selfies get a bad rap. We’re labelled vain, attention seeking, or shallow for taking and posting them. But in a world where women over age 50 are considered well past their prime, invisible, and probably shopping for Depends and compression hose; documenting and celebrating my middle-aged face and body feels affirming, positive, maybe even a little revolutionary.

And because I have the right kinds of friends, there was the usual scattering of likes and “you’re so beautiful” comments. My mom jumped on to the thread with her predictably joy-killing vibe. “You’re kind of cute, but you’ve never been beautiful,” she commented.

My friends reacted with shock and horror. Some of them knew she was my mother. Some of them just thought she was a random rude person hanging out on my timeline. I laughed and deleted her comment and all of their offended responses.

The funny thing is, I look a lot like my mother. Just as my youngest child looks a lot like me. So when my mother says “you’re not beautiful” she’s saying “I’m not beautiful.” Her red hair, freckles, and cute little round nose come from her father’s side. When I say “her father” I mean the man who impregnated my grandmother, a man whose name I do not know, a man who vanished into the past when my grandmother refused to leave her husband to go with him. But my brunette grandmother with the aquiline nose and her dark-haired, patrician husband never would have produced a child together who looked like my mother, who carried in every flaming red hair on her head the evidence of her mother’s guilt.

My mother was a toddler when my grandmother’s husband volunteered for the Army and went to war. He didn’t need to. He was over-age and had a good career with the phone company. He had to get waivers in order to be allowed to join up. He went off to serve in northern Africa. I don’t know if he wrote her tender letters or any letters at all. But at the end of the war, he came home, a stranger in a dark uniform, resumed his career as an engineer, and spent the last nine years of his life looking for the bottom of the cocktail glass. I have a picture taken on a winter’s day; he still in uniform and my mother standing next to him in a snowy suburban yard, neither of them smiling. I have no pictures from my mother’s childhood of her smiling. I’m not sure she knew how.

I never met the grandfathers and great-grandfathers and great-uncles of my maternal line. They died before I was born. My grandmother, always old to my eyes, never again to my knowledge had nor sought romance in her life. She lived long and alone, occupying herself with career and hobbies and travel and friends. And I was raised by a woman who hated her body that was shaped like mine, who cut her beautiful red hair into an unflattering bob or pulled it back into a plain ponytail, who wore matronly dresses or boxy suits or chambray shirts, and who was constantly dieting and failing to lose weight. She dressed me in shabby hand-me-downs, jerked my strawberry blonde hair into braids so tight they made my head hurt, and sent me to school in boxy brown loafers and ridiculous pinafores covered by an ugly brown corduroy coat. Never mind that everyone else was wearing bell bottoms and rainbow striped tee-shirts.

I wasn’t ugly. But I sure felt ugly. I look back at the pictures and see a sweet, perfect, heart-shaped face, pale and lightly freckled, surrounded by a halo of blonde hair. I see my young body, strong and lithe, graceful in every pose. But I felt none of those things that I see now. And when puberty hit, with all of its longings and weirdness, my insecurities made me grateful for any attention, even from a guy who was wrong in every way. Luckily, I outgrew that phase and outgrew him and found the confidence and strength in adulthood that I’d never imagined I’d possess.

When I look at my child, now grown to an adult, I see in their bright red hair and the shape of their face and the sprinkling of freckles on their pale arms my own youthful beauty, the beauty I never knew I had. And I see my mother’s face as it should have been, with smiles and laughter and confidence. I want them to know how amazing they are. Every morning, when I kiss them awake, I tell them they’re beautiful. Every day, when they haul the wood or carry the hay or dig up a flower bed, I remind them that they are strong. And I hope that when they look in the mirror and see my eyes looking back at them, they see the love in those blue eyes. And beauty.