Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Purple Flowers

We all have that one project that we look back on with nostalgia. Maybe it was the interesting work, or the good people, or even just the place we were. It’s the sort of memories that keeps consultants going through the bad times.

It was a very short project – only six weeks. And it was in Los Angeles. I’d never actually been to Los Angeles before. Flying in for that first week I had a window seat, which is my preference. I watched the desert pass under the plane. I love the desert landscape, the way that ancient volcanos and lava flows and the slow erosion of the land is all clearly visible without the screen of greenery that obscures the geology in more verdant landscapes. Then suddenly there were the folds of mountains, sprinkled with snow and the green fuzz of vegetation. A little further and Los Angeles revealed itself, a sprawling city under a haze of bright purple blossoms. No one told me that the city would be smothered in flowers.

The project was for a public entity that needed to replace or upgrade their telephony management system and knew that they needed to document their current state processes before they could make a good software choice.

True confessions – I didn’t know jack about telephone technology before I started the project. But I do know how to talk to all kinds of people and find stuff out.

Luckily, the client, knowing that the compressed time frame would be a challenge, had already not only requested the necessary building and network access for me, but had scheduled meetings for me with the key stakeholders I’d need to interview. It’s the only project I’ve ever worked on where the client was so proactive and prepared. Also, they gave me a corner office with a conference table since they knew I’d have to meet with so many folks. Wow.

But the most memorable part of the project wasn’t the stakeholders or the office or even the fascinating exploration of telephony technology (I got them to take me down into the basement and show me all the copper). It was Los Angeles.

It wasn’t a cheap part of town, if there is one. I stayed in a $300 a night hotel. For the last three weeks I managed to switch to a rather nasty AirBnB to save money. I definitely preferred the hotel, which had free wine in the lobby and a lovely restaurant with a panoramic view of the western hills. Oh well, the things we do to stay on budget.

I chose not to rent a car, because obviously. So the first week, I got on Craigslist and found a graduating college senior who was selling a bicycle for $50. I bought it. It was a rusty mess but it took me all over town. I rode it to the office and back, out to Santa Monica, and around town in search of cheap food. And everywhere I walked or pedaled, the jacaranda blossoms fell on my head and on the sidewalk, turning from a cloud of purple overhead to a slippery pile of purple underfoot.

I made the rookie mistake of biking all the way down Sunset Blvd. to the beach. Halfway along you lose both sidewalk and shoulder and the cars go speeding around those blind turns and you begin to wish you’d updated your will. After walking for a spell in the sand and dining on a burger at the pier, I rode back up Wilshire, which was less scenic but a lot less terrifying. As I pedaled along, slow and tired, I passed a barbershop where some older black men sat out front playing checkers. I waved and they called out pleasantries as I went by.

Friends told me to check out the “cemetery of the stars” so with a little help from Google maps I located it and visited it during a lunch hour. It felt odd to be a tourist at the tiny, intimate, extremely well-tended cemetery. I walked slowly reading headstones. Farrah Fawcett, Walter Matthau, Jack Lemmon, Marilyn Monroe (her marker covered with lipstick kisses), and Rodney Dangerfield. His marker read simply “There Goes the Neighborhood” and I tossed back my head and laughed.


The best was the weekend that my youngest flew out to join me. Renee had never flown by themselves and it was a bit of an ordeal for them. Luckily since they were a minor, I was able to go to the gate to meet them. I rented a tiny car so that we could get around more easily. We drove out past Marina Del Rey, and Renee raised an eyebrow at me, having just finished reading All the President’s Men. The two things Renee wanted to do were tour the Getty and go hiking in the hills. It made for a wonderful but exhausting weekend. Do you have any idea how big the Getty is? And how hard all those miles of white marble floors are? Not to mention how overwhelming it is to consume that much art in one day? You can’t process it all. It’s like trying to watch a movie in fast-forward.

The next day, hiking up in the hills, was a welcome respite. The city, full of little bungalows and carefully manicured gardens full of exotic plants, lacks life. There are few birds, few squirrels, no sweet smell of untended nature. But get up above the city, and the hills are full of wildlife and flowers of exquisite, unexpected beauty, and the golden warm smell that means California to me. We wandered for hours, not quite sure where we were going, but reluctant to turn back. To compensate for having to return to the sterile streets of the city, I took Renee to my favorite little Italian spot for some really kick-ass risotto. And then it was time to see them to their plane and wave goodbye for another week.

And the project? It was a success. I worked long hours and barely finished, but in the end I had a solid ecosystem map, a complete set of process flows, an issues list, and a very pretty little presentation to show. It was a satisfying conclusion, but there’s something about such a short project that leaves you feeling disoriented. Just as soon as you’ve found your way around, figured out who the players are, and really gotten your teeth into the problems, you’re flying home and wondering what they’re going to do with all your hard work. Not that I wanted to keep flying to the west coast every week. That part was exhausting, and I’ve got nothing good to say about the LA airport. I left the keys to the bike with the receptionist and told her to do whatever she wanted with it. It wasn’t worth trying to sell again.