Tuesday, April 24, 2018

Tales from the schoolhouse 3


There are so many stories to tell that it’s hard to sort them out in my mind. Today I’ll tell about the beginning of the end of my teaching career. 

It happened shortly after I started my first (and last) year as a full-time teacher. I had interviewed for the position of 7th grade science teacher. I was really pumped about this, because from my subbing experience I knew that science was my favorite subject to teach. However, the school administration instead hired a combat veteran suffering from heavy-duty PTSD to teach science and decided that I should teach German!

I should have run away screaming. But I really needed the job.

No text books, no classroom, and no idea how to teach German, especially to kids who were already functionally illiterate in two other languages. But, more about that later.

Today’s tale starts with a lock-down. Another school in our district had a child bring a weapon to school, so every school went into lock-down. I hadn’t been instructed in lock-down procedure, but the teacher with whom I shared my room was familiar with the process. Doors locked. Window shades drawn. No one allowed in the hallways. Wait for the all-clear announcement. But you know how it is with kids. There was a bathroom emergency. Not in my room, but apparently another teacher let a child go to the bathroom rather than wet himself. The principal got on the intercom with an extremely rude and condescending announcement publicly shaming the teacher. I was appalled. She could have been stern, she could have reiterated the procedures, but instead she mocked her faculty in a tone of complete disdain.

Later that day, I listened to my fellow teachers in the break room complaining bitterly about the principal’s behavior. So I drafted a rather meekly worded email to the principal, asking that she not publicly shame teachers as it had a significant impact on student respect for the faculty and classroom management.

She called me into her office during my planning hour. Her office was at the opposite end of the school from the main school office and other administrative staff. Rumor had it that she requested that separation because she spend all day working on her PhD instead of doing her job. I sat down at the round table in her office.

“Where do you want to teach next year?” she asked me.

I thought it an odd conversation starter. I looked at her face and saw that she was seething with rage. I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I could see that I was dealing with a total bully.

“I don’t know,” I replied. “I haven’t thought about it.”

She launched into a tirade. I wish I had a recording of it, but the gist was that “I’m great and the students are great but the teachers at this school are a bunch of incompetent losers who make all of the problems around here.” This went on for a while. She wanted to make me angry or make me break down. If I yelled back, she would have grounds to fire me. I knew she wanted to. If I cried or apologized, I’d be forever under her tyrannical thumb. Amazingly, I managed to stay totally calm.

“I don’t agree,” I told her. “I haven’t been here very long, but all the teachers I’ve met are really caring, smart professionals who are trying their hardest to do a good job. They deserve respect and support for that.”

“You’re wrong!” she yelled at me.

I honestly don’t remember how the meeting ended. Clearly not the way she wanted it to, because I simply refused to play her game, which gave her nowhere to go. Of course, from that day onwards, I was a dead woman walking. Not that it really made any difference to me. The job couldn’t have been any worse.