Friday, April 20, 2018

Tales from the Schoolhouse 1


Sometimes I get into a funk and take some time off from creating things. I almost always find that when that happens, I have to branch off in a new direction to re-light the fuse.

With all the teacher walk-outs, the state of education is much in the news. I have some opinions about that, having been a teacher for a short, weird period of my life. So, branching off, I’m going to tell a few tales from those days. Bear with me, because I’m not going in any particular order, and I’ll probably meander around.

I’ll start with a 3-month gig I had as a long-term substitute in McLoud Oklahoma. The special needs math teacher was out on maternity leave. I knew this would be a challenge for me, having never been particularly genius at math. I had gone through the para training and alternative teacher certification by that point, but wasn’t really educated on this kind of teaching.

I walked into the classroom at the end of the hall and took stock. I would be teaching kids at several different levels, primarily from a basic mathematics book and a pre-algebra book. McLoud had 4 classes per day instead of 6, and the students were expected to do their schoolwork in class, so I only needed enough books for the classroom, not for each student to take home. I had one ancient student computer on a desk at the side of the room. I had one cabinet of supplies, mostly holiday decorations for the classroom.  There were scented candles and Jesus things on the teacher’s desk, and a broom in the corner, which I soon discovered was a necessity since many of the kids came to school straight from their morning chores in the barn. Yuck.

The lovely thing about teaching special needs classes is that class sizes are quite small – as legally required. So you do have a little more time to work with individual students, and classroom management is much, much easier. I had students who ranged from one boy who couldn’t tie his own shoes, didn't smell very good, and only knew how to calculate on his fingers to the quick-witted 7th grader who seemed to be in special needs class only because he wasn’t at all good at sitting still or keeping quiet. There was also a skater dude who would bring in his skateboard and park it behind my desk, sit down in the back of the room, and promptly go to sleep, every day.

As I tackled the challenges of teaching math to these kids, I cast back to my days as a volunteer in my daughter’s classrooms in Oregon. There, the teachers relied heavily on “manipulatives” to teach math theory. From there they progressed to word problem solving, and THEN to what most of us think of as math, problems written in math’s symbolic language. It was a consistent and orchestrated approach that all the teachers in all the grades utilized. I quickly came to realize that these Oklahoma students had never been taught the concepts behind the math problems. They were unable to equate the symbols on the page to anything. It was purest luck that any of them could go beyond calculating on their fingers.

With no budget and no teaching supplies besides the textbooks, I turned to Google for inspiration. By luck I found a thing called “algebra cards.” Cardstock, scissors, a sharpie, and a Saturday’s afternoon work, and Monday morning I faced my class armed with my new tool. The cards are used to lay the algebra problem out on a table top. The students can then solve the equation by adding and removing cards, keeping the equation balanced as they isolate the variable. After we worked through several problems together, a light bulb started to go off. From then on, my algebra students regularly grabbed the cards and stood at the table, working together to solve the problems.

In that moment I realized that it was a GIFT that I am not great with math, because I could see and relate to the struggles of my students. Being able to figure out how to teach them made me realize I was not bad at math at all, I was just bad at doing math the way it had been taught to me. It helped me to see my students as people who were unconventional learners and started me down a path of discovery that led, eventually, to the democratic schooling movement.

But, back to McLoud. My methods worked really well on some students. For the ones who had severe learning disabilities, not as much. Perhaps with more time and support, I would have figured out how to tailor my instruction to every student. But the end of the semester came and the regular teacher returned. I went back to sporadic substituting for the remainder of the school year. At one point the teacher I had replaced sought me out and asked “What are these algebra cards the students keep asking for?” It was clear that she was not at all pleased that I had introduced this new method to her students. I explained them and gave her my cards, but I later found out she never used them. It was clear to me that neither she nor the district really cared about helping these students find their individual level of achievement. They taught them because they were legally obligated to do so, but there was no creativity, passion, or empathy in the process. I always wondered what happened to the clever, restless boy, or the skater kid who couldn’t stay awake. One does, you know.