Thursday, November 11, 2021

Thoughts of a Veteran

 It's veterans' day again, with the usual excessive flag waving and maudlin expressions of gratitude. On this day, lots of people recommit to the idea that veterans should have health care and benefits and housing. They don't necessarily vote for the politicians who get that done, but it's a fine, feel-good sentiment. Here's the thing though. As much as I appreciate "take care of veterans," the truth is that I don't deserve anything that every American doesn't deserve. I don't want Americans to take care of me. I want them to take care of each other. 

When I was in the Army - 

I always knew that I’d have a place to stay. It might be a bare-bones barracks room. But it would be clean and comfortable and free. And if I had a family to house, there was some on-post housing and housing allowances for those of us who had to rent “on the economy.” There was even a warehouse of home furnishings that you could borrow so that you didn’t have to buy a bunch of furniture and schlepp it around the globe.

I could get three squares a day at any chow hall. If I lived in the barracks, I’d have a meal card and eat for free. But even if I had my own apartment, I could still get a chow hall meal for a couple of bucks.

I always knew that I’d have access to health care when I needed it. I didn’t have to fool with insurance cards and deductibles and HSA accounts. I just went down to the clinic and saw a doctor or nurse or dentist as needed and got whatever medication they prescribed at the on-site pharmacy. Wherever in the world I went, my medical records went with me, so I didn’t have to worry about records requests and delays and paying fees to access information that belongs to me.

When I moved from one station to another, I knew that my belongings would be packed and shipped to me, whether this was a couple of suitcases and a bicycle or an entire household. My travel expenses were also paid for.

If I were stationed in a foreign country, I could rely on support for things like auto registration, driver’s licensing, and navigating the local real estate market. For families with children, on-post day-care and schooling was provided.

Wherever I was stationed, I knew that there would be a PX/BX where I could buy essential products, a commissary where I could get my groceries, a barbershop, a post office, a gym, a dry cleaners, a community center where I could have a soda and a game of ping pong with my colleagues, and a club where I could relax and have a beer and listen to music after hours. Often there would be even more infrastructure – a ski shop where I could get my skis tuned or buy discounted lift tickets, an auto-shop where I could get my car fixed or borrow the tools to do it myself, a dark room where I could develop and print my own film, maybe even a movie theater or a bowling alley. All of it affordable and accessible.

Each place I was stationed, I was assigned a sponsor who helped me get settled, made sure any paperwork or training I needed to complete was done, took me down to the supply room and the armory to help me get equipped, answered my questions, and showed me around. I knew when I showed up to work, I’d be given the tools I needed to do my job.

Training, both on-the-job and formal, was built into my schedule. I knew I’d have the chance to learn new skills and advance in my career. So long as I met minimum requirements, additional schools and certifications were always available.

Everybody, whether private or general, had 4 weeks of paid leave. Plus, extra days off were given for things like donating blood or volunteering or acing the PT test or just because local leadership felt like it.

The military goes beyond providing for the minimum, essential services. Why do they do all of this? Because they know that people are more effective and more motivated when their needs are met. Not living in fear of homelessness or hunger or medical bankruptcy is the bare minimum. We also need community and recreation and fitness and challenge and growth. With those things, we can excel, we are motivated to reach for more, and we can endure the hardships of our lives and our jobs with grace and resilience.

Everybody should have that.