Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Boy in a Gray Hoodie

Photo by Jannes Jacobs on Unsplash

Among my other career adventures, I was for one year a full-time middle school teacher. It was probably the weirdest, most exhausting, and most frustrating year of my life. Towards the end of the year, all the teachers were asked to submit the names of their top students from each grade for an academic award. There wasn’t any guidance given on how those top students should be identified. I looked through my class rosters and considered what metrics to use. It became obvious that if I based the award on grade average alone, all my top achievers were girls. So I decided to recognize the boy and girl from each grade who had the highest average. This was a difficult decision to make, but I decided that it was a bit like having male and female competitions in the Olympics so that contestants are competing on an equal footing. After all, girls are 70% of high school valedictorians. Clearly, in secondary school academic achievement, the girls have the advantage. Since the class I taught was one semester long and I taught three grades, I submitted 12 names for recognition.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend the awards assembly; my class schedule didn’t permit it. But one of my fellow teachers reported that when my eighth-grade boy honoree (I’ll call him Jay) was called to the stage to get his certificate, he looked around him in stunned silence, turned red, and stumbled up to the podium to claim his award in complete confusion, blinking back tears. Apparently Jay had never, in his entire 9 years of school, been recognized or rewarded for academic achievement.
Since Jay had been my student in the fall semester, and the school year was drawing to a close, I never saw him to speak to again. I’ll never know if or how that moment of recognition affected him beyond the immediate moment. But I do know what I learned.

1.      Metrics matter. They don’t replace creative thought and decision making, but they can provide new insights and open our eyes to things we might be missing. Jay was not an outstanding student in any way. He was frequently disruptive. He showed little enthusiasm in class. He had to be nagged to finish assignments. It wasn’t until I sat down and looked at the metrics that I realized he had outperformed his peers.

2.      Compromise your principles. My first inclination was to limit the reward to the top performer in each grade, regardless of gender. After all, don’t boys get enough advantages in this patriarchal world? But then I thought, what if I am biased? What if I am, by reason of gender and sentiment, giving girls the benefit of the doubt when I grade assignments? I don’t know why girls outperform boys in school, but clearly they do. What harm does it do to extend my recognition to more students? Jay’s stunned gratitude more than confirmed that my compromise was the right choice.

3.      Be fair. Once I decided on the rules to apply, I did not allow myself to be swayed by other considerations, such as absenteeism or deportment. Those things are heavily impacted by outside considerations like family situation and health issues. I kept it strictly to grade average as recorded on the school computer system.

4.      Recognition changes things. During the semester, it didn’t occur to me to praise Jay for his efforts. Mostly I was trying to keep him awake, in his seat, and on task. I noticed when he came to school on a snowy day in a light hoodie and pointed out to him privately that the school had a coat closet where he could get a donated coat. How much better would his learning experience have been if I had taken more notice of his efforts in class? Giving praise for small achievements, saying thank you for minor favors, can have a transformative effect over time, and it just makes everybody happier.