Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Life in LA

This is the last week of a six week project in LA. Hence, my complete lack of blogging, because it’s been hella crazy. I’m sitting in my ‘luxe business Airbnb’ on a vinyl loveseat that can’t possibly be that uncomfortable but is, eating my snack box from Sprouts because I’m sick of restaurants. This was my first visit to LA, and after six weeks I’ve formed a few opinions.
  • Almost everything in LA costs twice as much as in Texas. Hotel rooms, meals, gasoline. On what planet does a burger or a burrito cost $20?
  • The weather here really is perfect. Unless you like rain, that is. I have yet to be either hot or cold. It’s weird really.
  • They have retail here, and by retail I mean lots of little shops selling really cool stuff. Don’t get me started on the consignment shop down the street. If I wore a size 4 I’d have a new designer wardrobe.
  • People here really care about their appearance. I have never seen so many hair salons, nail salons, makeup, massage, threading, facial etc. places crammed together. Really there’s one every block, maybe more.
  • In spite of all the great shopping and devotion to beauty, people here look absolutely ordinary. Go figure.
  • It’s great being 5 miles from the beach, but beaches are actually really boring unless you have some little people or dogs with you.
  • Waiters in LA are very attentive until they’ve brought you your food. Then they forget you exist. I practically have to beg and cry to get them to take my money so that I can leave.
  • Drivers in LA always yield politely for pedestrians and bikes, but they are super aggressive to other cars. I’ve never heard so much honking in my life.
  • The hills around LA are stunningly beautiful, filled with native plants and birds. Get into the city, and it’s all palm trees and bougainvillea and oddly enough, zero birds. Huh.
  • But mostly, what I realize from staying here is that I am really truly not a city girl. I want the smell of trees and rain and dirt. I want squirrels and deer and possums playing in my yard. I want to go for a jog without having to wait for even one stop-light. Nobody here ever looks happy. Maybe really, none of us is a city girl.